About us

Hi  and welcome to our classroom blog.

Our blog has a few goals that we would like to share with you:

1. It is intended to create better communication between our classroom and home.

2. To teach students how they should behave in this digital world.

3. Develop and refine our technological skills and how they can be used to enhance our learning.

4. We also use it as a place to showcase some of our student work.

5. To have a place that is safe for us to work collaboratively with each other on our projects and assignments.

Things you should know about the blog.

We have a section dedicated to helping your child improve their academic performance under the title “Key to Students Success”. I’ll try to keep updating it with more videos as we go along.

We try to host a weekly tv show that’s located under McVeighland TV, where we share with you a little of what we do in the classroom.  Also the show is intended to be a great memory of our year together.

Classdojo is a new tool for me this year in 2013, where you can see daily, weekly or monthly reports on how your child is working on their learning skills. This is test run to see how effective it will be and we’ll be tweaking it along the way. The benefit of this is that you can login from home to view their behaviour in the classroom.    Any feedback would be appreciated from you.

Students will also be receiving their own personal blogs site to help them record their thoughts and ideas and to express their passion.

A little about myself.

I have been teaching for 8 years now with experience from k-2 and the past few years in grade 5. My experience in grade 5 so far has been an amazing journey where I’ve learned just as much from the students as they have from me. Students continually surprise me with their sense of curiosity and each year brings new adventures and exploration of learning. My goal is to continue to motivate them and push them to strive for their best each and every day. I feel blessed and grateful to have found this profession.

When I’m not teaching, I enjoy reading, teaching myself new pieces of technology either on my computer or tablet, heading up to my family cottage to relax and enjoy the outdoors. I enjoy watching / playing  hockey and football with my friends.

Thank you for reading,

Mike McVeigh